Good news in the plastic recycling world!
We no longer need to remove labels or cut off every little piece of the sealant around the edges of yogurt or tofu style containers for the plastic recycling take back events at church. The only exception is prescription bottles; all personal information needs to be removed or blacked out. All items still need to be squeaky clean. Now, number 1 and 2 bottles and jugs can be put in your commingle curbside bin.
We will collect numbers 2, 4 and 5. We will have another event sometime in the spring.
Tips to help with collecting:
- Set up bags for sorting in a convenient place (2, 4 and 5 bags).
- Wash and thoroughly dry items.
- Find the recycling imprint, circle it with sharpie and write the number on the bottom. This is not required but helps with faster sorting.
- Put in the bag and cover or close the bag to reduce chances of dirt and dust accumulating.
- Always check the number on each item. There are many lookalikes and companies often change the plastic that they use.